Cook/Stew - Temporary / Seasonal - Min exp 3 years - $tbd - Spain
Spirit of Anima Ltd. is the operating company of the 72ft Classic Wooden Small Commercial Sailing Yacht Anima II.
Anima II was designed with the passion for wood and the love for classic lines. She is focusing on family cruising, private charter and regatta racing. Significant weight reduction will make her competitive at classic regattas. The modern interior design will meet the ultimate needs of highest standards. The Mahogany and Lignia cockpit has seating for up to ten people and the spacious modern inside offers 3 guests and 1 crew cabin.
Anima stands for life principals and is a medium to connect to the unconscious – the soul and spirits. Spirit of Anima, will focus on sailing adventures in the Mediterranean and is looking for a professional staff with the same enthusiasm and passion for the experiences we want to provide.
You love to engage with people - and how can this be better done, than surprising with a great meal, enjoying to serve people or to get satisfaction out of creating a nice experience for other.
In the role as Chef, Steward(ess) and deckhand you will be busy with multiple tasks. You are working closely together with our Italian skipper to ensure a great customer experience. Your work is critical for the success of Spirit of Anima. Your main focus will be to prepare excellent meals and are making sure the inside of the yacht is in mint conditions. But you also like to sail and can help the skipper during sailing, anchoring or berthing activities.
1. Provide customized breakfast, lunch and dinner services on a 23m sailing yacht.
2. Taking full responsibility of our guests and maintain the general upkeep and cleanliness of the yacht.
3. As a deckhand, you must also be familiar with the handling of the anchor winch and winches in general. You are also good with lines and must be able to tie a bowline easily to help the skipper berthing the yacht.
4. Working hours will vary and you must be flexible to cover operational requirements.
In this exciting role you also will be responsible for and undertake the following:
- Occasionally representing Spirit of Anima, championing the brand, and raising our profile
- Being professional, and acting with tact and diplomacy at all times (both on and off the vessel) while remaining commercially & personally sensitive and sober
Appointment and Working Hours
This is a temporary role starting April 1st in Malta or latest in Palma Mallorca, May 1st 2023 and will end on October 31st 2023. The role might extent to a full-time appointment. The nominal hours are 40 per week. However, the nature of this role and the unique responsibilities associated with it, mean that there is a need for considerable flexibility with working hours, particularly during the charter season, when there is a regular need to exceed these hours.
Every reasonable opportunity is to be taken to offset long hours with rest and taking time off. This applies particularly when not on watch while sailing and when not sailing.
Requirements for your application:
- Minimum of 2 years experiences as a professional chef/cook
- Proven experiences in previous roles as a deckhand
- Fluent in English and preferably a second language
- Eligibility to work in the EU with a valid passport for the duration of the employment
- Non Smoker
Desirable additional qualifications:
- Hospitality and Food Preparation Experience
- Proven time management skills
- Powerboat Level 1 or2
- Long-Range Radio certificate
- Previous charter background on sailing yachts
- A sociable and positive attitude with proactive communication skills
- You have an extrovert personality, like to communicate with people and are a team player who is willing to sharing a cabin with our male skipper
- You work autonomously, have a positive attitude, are energetic but flexible, enthusiastic, hands-on and willing to work hard
- You have a professional approach to working within the marine industry with good communication skills, both verbal and written, and at ease in front of guests
- The desire to work on a modern classic wooden sailing yacht is driving your willingness to keep learning and developing yourself
This is a temporary full-time position. The base line renumeration is dependent on experiences and qualifications. The contract will as well include an incentive system which is based on agreed objectives related to the well keeping of the yacht and customer satisfaction of our charter guests.
The sailing season is as long as practical and in 2023 will take her from Malta to Palma. She will stay in the Balearics Islands for charter and regatta until the end of July, will be in Italy during August, will spend September in Greece and will then return in October to Barcelona.
Interested applicants should apply via email with an attached CV and covering letter detailing suitability for the role together with details of two references and remuneration expectations. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.