Chief Steward/ess - Rotational - €1.400 - General (Europe)
Sailing-Classics is looking for a steward(ess) for her Sailing-Classics fleet (Chronos, Rhea or Kairos). Previous work experience in service and handling guests have our preference. More important though are a flexibible attitude and social skills.
The Sailing-Classics concept:
Sailing-Classics cruises with 16-28 guests (cabin charter), combining authentic sailing without fixed schedule with great comfort and high-quality service (4 meals a day, good cuisine), watersports, tender service, shore excursions, etc. On regular cruises we sail between 3-6h every day. Guests are welcome to help with handling the sails and navigation. Also check www.sailing-classics.com.
Kairos (38m, sailing since 2007) is Schooner-rigged; Chronos (54 m, 2013) Wishbone ketch, and Rhea (54m, 2017) Wishbone ketch.
All vessels have a fisherman and are newly built at Ark Yachts shipyard in Turkey in the style of classic yachts. The vessels are certified as Dutch commercial cruising vessels, and sail under class survey.
We operate year-round (approx. 15 days annual maintenance), cruising the Mediterranean in summers and the Caribbean in winters. One ship usually stops the Atlantic islands during the Atlantic crossings.
Kairos Crew (7 pax):
Captain, First Mate, Engineer, Bosun, Chef, 2 x Steward (ess)
Chronos & Rhea Crew (9-10 pax):
Captain, First Mate, Engineer, Bosun, Deckhand, Chef, 3 x Steward (ess), Host
Life on Board
Life on board requires a certain lifestyle. The international crew (mostly European) speaks English amongst each other, while guests are 90% German speaking (German, Swiss, Austrian, some Dutch).
We sail with guests, so every crewmember represents the Company and is responsible for guests’ well-being. Workdays are intense and long. With no fixed cruising schedule, working hours stay flexible. Changing days between charters are especially busy and long, as there is only about 6h to get ready for the next charter. Teamwork is an absolute must! You should pro-actively see what needs to be done and help each other out. Depending on captain and workload, crew may get to visit shore every now and then.
Accommodation is in double and triple cabins. Sailing-Classics Polo’s are provided, but bring your own navy-blue and knee-long trousers (up to € 60 gets reimbursed after first trial period). Food, water, juices, tea and filter coffee are available free of charge, soft drinks, beer and wine are charged for crew at average buying price. 3 meals per day (same excellent quality as for guests) are offered in crew mess.
When signing a potential employment contract, you confirm to be aware of and to follow the Sailing-Classics Board Rules. The most important ones are:
• No use of personal electronic devices during working hours and in front of guests
• Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited when on duty, as dinghy-driver, when on watch during charters, and at all times during crossings.
• The possession and/or use of any illegal substances/drugs/weapons will absolutely lead to immediate termination of the work-agreement and possible prosecution.
• Smoking is allowed, but only at designated places.
Depending on the captain/team on board, your tasks may slightly differ. Generally, the steward(ess) is in charge of:
• Contact with guests (important!) and providing overall guest care
• Responsible for smooth everyday operation of service/hotel department, incl. housekeeping services, laundry /wardrobe management, inventories, food and beverage service, clean-up
• Protecting, maintaining, and caring for interior items and surfaces, such as dishes, glass, linens, woodwork, and others.
• Maintaining hotel/service stocks and inventory management, regular communication to office
• Collaborate with chef regarding meal service, table setting, meal times, wine recommendations
• Assist galley with cleaning, food preparation • Planning of and quality service during meals Keeping all interior storage areas organized, hygienic, maintained and sea tight.
• Registration and control of new supplies
• Helping other departments when necessary (e.g. with lines / fenders on deck)
• Knowing your task on the muster list
• Make suggestions for improvements, notify captain about complaints
• Notify captain what you do, when going on break or to shore
• Being present during the introductions and
Farewells of our guests.
Job Skills requirements:
• Hospitable attitude, displaying knowledge of international etiquette in service.
• Good communications, organization skills
• Vast knowledge of, service, housekeeping, drinks (and wines is an advantage), restaurants and activities in cruising areas, table decorations, and table arrangements • Energetic and flexible personality, thriving in teamwork with a positive and pro-active can-do attitude
• Attention to detail (cleaning, service)
• Multitasker; ability to work under stress
• Ability to overcome seasickness